Your 2022 SSA Fall Conference Guide
This guide was designed to help make your time at the SSA Fall Conference 2022 as enjoyable and productive as possible. Activities run from Tuesday, September 6 to Friday, September 9, and the SBOA is excited to be attending, exhibiting, and hosting a roundtable. There will be many exciting sessions and events you don’t want to miss!
What is it? SSA Fall Conference 2022
When is it? Tuesday, September 6 to Friday, September 9, 2022
Where is it? The MGM Grand, Las Vegas (see map below)
Where is Everything Located?
Within the MGM Grand, the majority of the conference and trade show will take place in the conference center. Follow all directional signs within the hotel and casino to find the conference center area.
We encourage you to visit as many expo booths possible during the trade show hours. Be sure to visit the SBOA and SBOA Tenant Insurance Booth #154, as well as the SBOA Alliance Partners. You can learn more about their products and services, in addition to their exclusive deals provided to SBOA members. Hover over the stars in the map below to see where our Alliance Partners are located.
SBOA Service Providers in Attendance
- Absolute Storage Management (#251)
- AI Lean (schedule time to meet with AI Lean here)
- Bank Five Nine (#550)
- Blink Signs/Blink Swag (#109)
- CallPotential (#247)
- Charity Storage (Paws for a Cause Booth)
- CSSI & CSSI Energy Services (#355 & #357)
- Easy Storage Solutions (#330 & #326)
- Everbrite (#337)
- Flex Storage Systems (#636)
- Janus International (#301)
- Marcus & Millichap (#201)
- OpenTech Alliance (#219)
- PostGuard (#631)
- PTI Security Systems (#429)
- Storable (#329)
- StorageAuctions.com (#534)
- Storage Gives (#536)
- StorTrack and List Self Storage (#449)
- The BSC Group (#436)
- XPS Solutions (#520)
SSA 2022 Fall Conference Booth Map
SBOA Service Providers
Meet the SBOA Team
We encourage you to stop by the SBOA trade show booth #154! Meet our team, learn more about becoming an SBOA member or service provider, grab some swag, and spin the prize wheel. Some prizes include; $5 chips to use in the casino area, free passes to SBOA events, gift cards, candy and more!
Trade show hours:
- Wednesday, September 7: 11:30am – 4:00pm
- Thursday, September 8: 11:30am – 3:00pm
Interested in setting up a one-on-one meeting with the SBOA team outside of trade show hours? Reach out to email@example.com to schedule a time.
Sessions You Don't Want To Miss
Educational Sessions Presented by SBOA
& SBOA Alliance Partners:
Wednesday, September 7
8:00am to 8:45am: Development: Is Data Driving Your Decisions? Presented by RK Kliebenstein from Coast to Coast Storage.
9:00am to 9:45am: Dealing with Difficult Customers. Presented by Tron Jordheim from Self Storage Strategies.
9:00am to 9:45am: Contactless Rentals: How to Automate the Move-In Process at Your Self Storage Facility. Presented by Terry Bagley from Janus International.
Thursday, September 8
8:00am to 8:45am: Size Does Not Matter When it Comes to Technology. Presented by Jim Mooney from Freedom Storage Management; Dave Cooper from Storage King USA; Chad Lundberg from The Storage Group; and Max Vallotton, Jr. from Gate 5 Self Storage.
3:15pm to 4:00pm: Tenant Trends That Will Shape the Self Storage Industry: A Path to the Future. Presented by Robert Chiti from OpenTech Alliance.
4:15pm to 5:00pm: Developing A Security Onboarding Game: An Expert Panel. Presented by Ryan Stewart from PTI Security Systems.
4:15pm to 5:00pm: Marketing Metrics for an Owner to Know Panel. Moderated by Grace Totty from Absolute Storage Management. Panel: Holly Fiorello from CallPotential; Stacie Maxwell from Universal Storage Group; and Melissa Stiles from Storage Asset Management.
Friday, September 9
8:00am to 8:45am: The Urgency to Treat Cybersecurity as a Business Decision. Presented by Chuck Gordon, Luke Lenzen and Mark Baldwin from Storable.
Wednesday, September 7 - 4:15pm to 5:30pm
TABLE 1 - RENOVATIONS – ADDING VALUE TO YOUR FACILITY.
Join this roundtable to learn how to ensure the remodeling you do today adds value to your facility in the future.
TABLE 2 - SELF STORAGE FINANCING
MARCUS & MILLICHAP CAPITAL CORPORATION
In this roundtable, we’ll discuss short term and long term options as well as options for construction, bridge, mini perm and permanent loans. We’ll also review SBA, Bank, Life Company, Bridge and CMBS financing options.
TABLE 5 - 5 WAYS COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT CAN IMPROVEMENT EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT
As companies continue to offer unique incentives to appeal to new employees, and younger generations place increased priority on purpose over money, businesses need to find new ways to attract and retain quality staff. Community service may seem like an individual decision, but it’s actually proven to boost engagement with your employees and improve your work environment. To leverage this as a tool, it’s important to promote an office culture that values, supports and promotes regular employee engagement in your community (and demonstrates the same commitment from the top-down). Join us to explore why community involvement is important to your business and how you and your company can participate.
TABLE 8 – KEY OPPORTUNITIES FOR GROWTH: AUTOMATION, TECHNOLOGY AND OUTSOURCING
Key advances in self storage technology and third-party services, and predictions for the future. Key advances in self storage technology and third-party services, and predictions for the future. • Where People Connect with Process Automation for the Ultimate CX (and why it matters). • When to onboard, When to outsource and When to automate – considerations for your storage operations. • Ways to rely less on labor, insulate your operation and build savings into your bottom line. • Key security risks to consider at automated properties (and how to mitigate them).
Table 10 – CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE TIPS AND TRICKS FOR REMOTE PROPERTY MANAGEMENT
How do you create a great customer experience and brand identity with no on-site manager? With technology! Join this roundtable as we discuss how operators are running their unmanned and hub and spoke properties without sacrificing their operations or customer experience.
TABLE 20 - USE TAX SAVINGS TO PAY FOR CAPEX AND RENOVATION PROJECTS
Most storage owners include labor and materials when considering a renovation or capex project. Any renovation project you are making should be viewed in the lens of taxes as well as labor and materials. If you are not reviewing tax strategies as well, then you are likely leaving cash flow on the table. We will review an LED lighting retrofit project where tax savings pay for most if not all of the project. These same strategies can be used to pay for most capex projects on your facility including roofs, doors, asphalt, sheetrock and much more. Don’t leave cash flow on the table, maximize your benefits with these tax savings strategies.
Table 23 – SO FRESH AND SO CLEAN! KEEPING YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA CONTENT ENGAGING, CURRENT AND CONCISE!
STORAGE BUSINESS OWNERS ALLIANCE (SBOA)
Coming up with social media content for your business can be a daunting task. But with a few simple practices you can make your social media pages look like a professional marketing agency is managing them. Join this roundtable as we discuss the tips and tricks of keeping social media content fresh and engaging!
TABLE 30 - BENCHMARKS OF LIEN TO AUCTIONS STATISTICS
Benchmarks allow business executives and managers to use point of references to check their status by comparison, against proven standards. One area overlooked for cost saving measures is the lien to auction process. As the recession hits, it will jeopardize revenue for operators. But these risks to revenue optimization can be mitigated by understanding the benchmarks of lien to auctions statistics. Learning to understand these vital numbers will not only come in handy during tough economic times, but also fireproof your profits during all business cycles. We’ll share results of our market studies to help you further understand and compare your business with others.
Charity Storage Hosting Paws for a Cause at the SSA 2022 Fall Conference
Charity Storage, the official charity of the self storage industry and official charity partner of the Self Storage Association (SSA), announced they will host a second Paws for a Cause event at the SSA 2022 Fall Conference & Trade Show in September.
Benefitting local non-profit Michael’s Angels Paws, the event will offer free pet therapy to self storage industry members in attendance at the Las Vegas show. On September 7th and 8th, Michael’s Angel Paws will provide a “puppy petting station” for show participants at the Charity Storage booth during exhibition hours. The booth will provide critical practice for therapy-dogs-in-training — volunteer teams of dogs and their handlers working to join over 250 active teams supporting the non-profit’s flagship Therapy Dog Program.
Proceeds from the event will benefit both charities — 75% of funds raised will support Michael’s Angel Paws’ assistive and therapy dog programming, and 25% will be dedicated to Charity Storage and the nonprofits aided by the organization nationwide.
Established in Las Vegas nearly 10 years ago, Michael’s Angel Paws strives to serve the community with a dedication to H.O.P.E. — Helping Others Pawsitively Everyday. In addition to the Therapy Dog Program, which partners with local hospitals, schools and other front-line service providers, the organization provides Assistance Dogs to support children and adults with disabilities, and general dog training courses in the community.
Pet therapy provides significant benefits proven to positively impact physical, mental and emotional health. Interaction with a gentle, friendly pet can reduce blood pressure, release endorphins and diminish physical pain. Additionally, it’s shown to decrease depression, anxiety and boredom, increase socialization and sense of community and help children overcome speech and emotional disorders.
Attendees are invited to stop by to take a break with your new canine friends amid two days of nonstop show fun. Don’t miss your chance to de-stress and learn more about Michael’s Angel Paws and Charity Storage.
SSA 2022 Fall Conference Sponsorships
The SBOA would like to recognize our alliance partners and their generous conference sponsorships of the SSA and SSA Fall Conference:
AI Lean – Generously sponsoring the SSA Cafe, which provides you with daily breakfast, snacks and drink services throughout the entire event.
PTI Security Systems and Storable – Generously sponsoring the Self Storage Managers Summit on Tuesday, September 6th from 1:30pm to 4:00pm. Send your managers to this training session to help sharpen their skills.
Storable – Generously sponsoring the Young Leaders Group (YLG) Educational Session on Wednesday, September 7th from 3:00pm to 4:00pm. Are you 40 years or younger? If you answered YES, you should 100% check out becoming a member of the YLG.
CallPotential and Storable – Generously sponsoring the SSA Women’s Council Networking Session on Thursday, September 8th from 5:15pm to 6:15pm. Where are all the ladies of self-storage? Join us and get to know your fellow gal pals in the industry better.
Storable – Generously sponsoring the Young Leaders Group (YLG) Networking Reception on Thursday, September 8th from 7:00pm to 9:00pm.
Ambassador Sponsors: Janus International, Marcus & Millichap and Storable
Partner Sponsors: Charity Storage
Patron Sponsors: Opentech Alliance, and PTI Security Systems
2022 Fall Conference and Trade Show Specialty Sponsors:
AI Lean, CallPotential, Janus International, PTI Security Systems and Storable.
7 Tips for New Attendees
1. The SSA Customer Service and Registration Desk is your FRIEND! If you are having a hard time locating anything related to the conference please visit the customer service desk. Hours are:
- Tuesday: 8:00am – 6:00pm
- Wednesday: 7:00am – 5:00pm
- Thursday: 7:00am – 5:00pm
- Friday: 7:00am – 10:00am
2. The SSA Cafe provides you with a complimentary breakfast daily, as well as drinks or snacks to help keep you energized for the long days! Sit down and take a rest in the cafe and meet fellow industry peers. The SSA Cafe is open on Tuesday to Thursday from 7:00am to 5:00pm, and Friday from 7:00am to 10:00am.
3. Engage in as many networking sessions and opportunities as possible. There are a few networking receptions you can attend:
- Canadian SSA Networking Reception. Tuesday, September 6: 6:00pm – 7:30pm
- Diversity & Inclusion Networking Reception. Wednesday, September 7: 5:30pm – 6:30pm
- Welcome to Las Vegas Reception at the Wet Republic. Wednesday, September 7: 6:15pm to 7:45pm
- SSA Women’s Council Networking Reception. Thursday, September 8: 5:15pm – 6:15pm
- Young Leaders Group (YLG) Networking Reception. Thursday, September 8: 7:00pm – 9:00pm (membership in the YLG required to attend).
4. Get Educated! The SSA works hard to put together some of the best educational sessions for you at these shows. Take advantage of the learning opportunities from the industry experts.
5. Attend the Orientation. If this is your first time attending a SSA National Show we highly encourage you to attend the Orientation for First-Time Attendees & New Members on Wednesday, September 7th from 7:15am to 7:45am. This session will help make your first SSA meeting experience not only more enjoyable, but more productive. Plan your personal agenda for maximum effectiveness. Also, find out how to put your SSA membership to work and learn about new programs for managers and owners, new publications, and the SSA website.
6. Visit the Trade Show. This is your opportunity to learn about all of the industry-leading service providers. Trade show hours are:
- Wednesday, September 7 – 11:30am to 4:00pm
- Thursday, September 8 – 11:30am to 3:00pm
7. Pack a Conference Survival Kit. Include:
- Comfortable Shoes – you are going to do a decent amount of walking (track all of those steps! This event is a workout just with the walking you will do).
- Aspirin – this may become helpful after the long days in Vegas.
- Chargers for all of your electronic devices.
- Business Cards – this is your time to network and get to meet people. Stock up your bag with your business cards to give to others. Don’t have a printed business card? There are tons of free online business card apps. We recommend using HiHello.
Charity Event at SSA: Paws for a Cause
Do you LOVE doggies? Be sure to stop by the Paws for a Cause booth in the expo area and visit the “puppy petting station.” You can learn more about Charity Storage, make a donation and spend some quality time with some furry friends!
Check out the SSA online program and dashboard. This online tool is an excellent resource, which includes the following:
- Detailed map of venue and expo hall
- Full schedule
- Session descriptions
- Information on conference mobile app
- Sponsor details
- And much more!
Haven’t registered for the SSA 2002 Fall Conference yet? You can still do so by clicking here.