Description: The hub and spoke operational model is designed to increase the efficient use of resources and can be a more cost-effective approach. With new technology trends in the self-storage industry, you are now able to efficiently oversee facilities without managers stationed there full-time. Learn from the experts on why they believe this model is effective.
Date: March 3, 2022 Length: 58:55
Topics and Questions Discussed
- 1:09 – Introduction & Housekeeping
- 5:50 – Guest Moderator: Jim Mooney Jr.
- 7:00 – Panelist Introductions
- 9:45 – Are many owners are already using the hub and spoke model and what are the pros/cons?
- 14:40 – What are some of the surprises/challenges of using hub and spoke?
- 18:00 – Do you think a completely unmanned facility can work in every situation?
- 22:10 – As you design a project, are there things to keep in mind if you do or don’t have an office?
- 25:14 – Where do you start?
- 28:32 – Do you need a separate SiteLink account for each facility?
- 32:03 – What is a good size for a facility/hub?
- 35:38 – Do you recommend a sample unit located outside of the gate?
- 37:30 – What are the advantages of the model for human resources?
- 38:34 – In a remote model, does the site manager’s job description change?
- 41:38 – Do you use cellular keypads or internet?
- 43:09 – What type of security technology is important to consider for an unmanned facility?
- 47:00 – How many remote properties can one manager effectively handle?
- 55:28 – Kiosks: yes or no?
- 56:11 – Closing Remarks